How to Play Baccarat
As in BlackJack, players must hit a value or closer to a value in order to win. In baccarat the aimed value is 9 (nine).
That means all cards have predefined values: cards ranging 2-9 worth their face value, while 10-K (10s and face cards) worth zero; Aces have the value of 1 point.
Players hands are calculated summing all the cards modulo 10. That means that if the player has in his hand cards totaling up to the value of 9, this is his hand value; if the player has 10 or over in his hand, all ten digits are ignored (example: for a 10 value hand the player has actually 0 value, also called baccarat as for the worst hand, for a 13 value hand the player has actually 3). Each player have 3 baccarat betting options (based on the 3 betting rows): the player hand will win, the bank hand will win or it is going to be a tie. Winning bets placed on player hand or bank hand are paid at odds of 1-1, while winning bets placed on Tie are paid out at odds of 8-1.
As all players are dealt at the beginning only two cards, the rules for dealing the 3rd are simple:
- if either the player or the banker has a point total of 9 or 8 with the first two cards gave (known as a ‘natural’), most Baccarat rules instruct that no more cards are dealt and winner is the one with the higher total value
- the player will be gave another card if they have a point total of 5 or less and will stand at 6 or 7
The banker’s play depends on the Banker’s hand, on whether the player drew a card, and on what card the Player drew:
- If the player did not draw a card, the banker draws if he has 0-5, and stands if he has 6-7.
- If the player drew a 2 or 3, the banker draws if he has 0-4, and stands if he has 5-7.
- If the player drew a 4 or 5, the banker draws if he has 0-5, and stands if he has 6-7.
- If the player drew a 6 or 7, the banker draws if he has 0-6, and stands if he has 7.
- If the player drew an 8, the banker draws if he has 0-2, and stands if he has 3-7.
- If the player drew an ace, 9, 10, or face-card, the Banker draws if he has 0-3, and stands if he has 4-7
You can see now how simple is to play Baccarat: with 3 betting options to go and 2 hands to keep track of, you could be a professional player after just a little practice. Practice on any online casino this game.